COTAC is a UK registered charity No 1162750. The charitable purposes of COTAC are as follows:
It shall be the object of the council to advance the education and training of all those involved in the protection, preservation, and sustainability of the historic environment, and to provide knowledge in support of training and education in the arts and skills required to protect and preserve it.
In furtherance of the objectives, but not further or otherwise, the council shall have the following aims and powers to:
- set, maintain and promote standards for conservation education and training;
- develop, produce and promote education and training materials:
- collaborate with other organisations, voluntary bodies and agencies with interests in conservation with a view to influencing and promoting relevant issues;
- maintain and develop the council's digital resources to ensure their relevance for the sector and the public;
- promote courses at all levels in conservation of the historic environment which are relevant and in accordance with recognised criteria;
- publish relevant material;
- arrange seminars, conferences and participate in exhibitions relating to relevant heritage issues;
- provide bursaries and other support for relevant studies and course attendance.